Friday 22 March 2013

Patrick Dougherty

Whist doing some research for a uni project last semester, I stumbled upon the artist Patrick Dougherty, and then a few months later was lucky enough to see one of his exhibits in Melbourne (I thought it was pretty cool timing, since I had just found about him not long before :) 





When I saw the sculpture of his in Federation Square (pictures above - also, they're not my photos, so apologies to whoever I stole it from on google! ) it really struck me how there seemed to be two different worlds inhabiting the same space: on the one hand, cars, trams, and people rushing by in the city, and on the other hand, this serene little forest hut offering an inviting little sanctuary from the city. And to be able to create a piece of art that does this, and place it right in the middle of the city itself; well, that is both a great achievement and a valuable contribution by my reckoning.
Anyway, here are some more of his images from the internet, and here a link to his website, http://www.stickwork.net/

Enjoy!


Come into the forest! Come walk with the trees!

The one in the middle almost looks like it has a face :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment